Award Cycle: Bi-Annual
Limit on Proposals per PI: An individual may participate as PI on one Fellowship per cycle and may only be awarded the Fellowship once.
Next Due Date: November 6, 2019 and March 25, 2020 (no LOI required)
Award Period: One year from start date
Applications: Accepted through UA Competition Space
Description: In 2009, the University of Arizona Foundation established this fellowship in honor of George H. Davis, Executive Vice President and Provost at the University of Arizona from 2000 to 2007. The fellowship defrays costs associated with invited participation in prestigious national or international conferences, lectureships, exhibitions, and the like. It is intended to increase visibility and networking opportunities, and to provide timely recognition in research, scholarship, and creative activities. Up to $2,500 may be requested. Funds can be used for travel, accommodations, and scholarly preparation of products emanating from the experience.
This is a stand-alone solicitation, the RII Proposal Preparation Guide does not apply to this opportunity.
Eligibility: Tenure-eligible faculty within their first four years at the UA, in any field.
Other Program Details: Within one month of the award's end date, the PI must submit a final report via UA Competition Space. This report will describe the proposed activity and any outcomes associated with the investigator's research, scholarship, and creative activities. Reports will be entered into textboxes.
Review and Selection Process: A panel of faculty peers and qualified staff will review proposals. PIs should write proposals that are understandable to an interdisciplinary audience. The following criteria will be considered:
- Evidence of the proposed activity to initiate or expand research, scholarship, or creative activity
- Significance of the proposed effort and potential impact
- Impact of the invited participation on the applicant’s career
Application and Submission Instructions: Proposals must be submitted through UA Competition Space by 5:00 pm MST on the date listed above. If you have not used this system, please see the instructions on the right side of UA Competition Space’s home page. It is strongly encouraged that you submit your application prior to noon MST as the system will close precisely at 5:00 pm MST. Late submissions will not be accepted.
The following are required:
- Proposal request under 1,000 words (text box upload)
- Updated short CV (maximum of five-pages, PDF upload)
- Budget and justification (Excel upload)
- Documentation of invitation (PDF upload), letter from the organizer preferred
- Letter of recommendation (PDF upload)
Recipients (by year of Submission Deadline)
- Autumn Eckman, Dance
- Samuel Gralla, Physics
- Judith Su, Biomedical Engineering
- Kevin Anchukaitis, Geography
- Robert Pierotti, Theater, Television & Film
- Annette Joseph-Gabriel, French & Italian
- Corey Abramson, Sociology
- Euan McLeod, Optical Sciences
- Eduardo Rozo, Physics
- Christine Berry, Medicine
- Jonathon Reinhardt, English
- Paige Scalf, Psychology
- Beth Weinstein, Architecture
- Emma Blake, Anthropology
- Jeff Sallaz, Sociology
Updated: October 1, 2019