UA Research Activity
The University of Arizona (UA) is one of the nation’s leading public research universities with an extensive institutional track record, depth of experience, and resources to effectively manage, administer, and support hundreds of millions of dollars in federal grants and awards annually.
- The UA is ranked 38th in FY 2016 research expenditures out of 640 public and private institutions (23rd in public institutions) reviewed by the National Science Foundation Higher Education Research and Development Survey (HERD)
- FY16 research expenditures for UA was $604M
- UA is also a member of the prestigious Association for American Universities (AAU) comprised of 62 distinguished institutions in the U.S. and Canada that advance society through education, research, and discovery
- UA is a U.S. Department of Education Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) under the Department of Education’s Definition of Hispanic Serving Institutions. To view the institutional information for Title V proposals, see the Research Gateway Administration section.
- UA is designated a USDA NIFA Hispanic-Serving Agricultural and Colleges and Universities (HSACU) for October 1, 2017 to September 30, 2018. Note that this is not equivalent to the Department of Education designated Hispanic-Serving Institution status.
- UA is not an American Indian and Alaska Native-Serving Institution or a minority institution as defined by U.S.C., Chapter 20.
UA Research Infrastructure
The UA's Research, Discovery & Innovation (RDI) provides pre-award, post-award, compliance, and contracting services across UA. Research Service units under RDI include Research Development Services, Sponsored Projects Services, and the Contract & Research Support Program. In addition to these services, RDI provides programs that promote the safe, legal, and ethical conduct of research including: Conflict of Interest Program, Export Controls Program, Human Subjects Protection Program, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, HIPAA Privacy Program, Research Laboratory & Safety Services, Research Integrity Program, and Responsible Conduct of Research Program. College and department business units comply with RDI guidance and policies for sponsored research financial reporting and management.
Recent examples of large, multi-institute research and education projects include the Phoenix Mars Mission (NASA), the OSIRIS-REx Mission (NASA), the NSF CyVerse, USDA Sustainable Bioeconomy for Arid Regions (SBAR), and the NSF ERC for Integrated Access Networks (CIAN).