This program is being reviewed and may be modified. Check back regularly.
Award Cycle: Annual
Limit on Proposals per PI: An individual may participate as PI on one FSG per cycle.
Next Due Date (Anticipated):
Required Letter of Intent: February 27, 2019, 5pm MST
Full Proposal: March 13, 2019, 5pm MST
Earliest Start Date: July 1, 2019
Award Period: July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020
Applications: Opens January 2, 2019; Accepted through UA Competition Space
Description: Research, Discovery & Innovation (RDI) funds these Category 1 grants. They are designed to jump-start worthwhile projects by providing short-term, one-time support. FSG grants provide up to $10,000 on a competitive basis and are available in three tracks:
- Track 1: International: proposals must advance an international research collaboration and/or mobility collaboration with an international partner that will eventually lead to new external funding or financially sustainable programming that supports research activities.
- Track 2: Arts, Culture & Society: proposals must advance an interdisciplinary collaboration or the generation of new data or a pilot project that will lead to new externally funded research, creative, or scholarly activities in the arts, humanities, and social sciences.
- Track 3: Early Career Innovation: proposals must lead to the generation of data for new extramural proposals. Because eligibility (see below) is limited to those within the first eight (8) years of their initial academic appointment, this funding may be used to enable mid-career faculty to take their research in a new direction.
Track 1 must include an international collaborator; Track 2 and Track 3 are single PI proposals.
In FY18 the award rate was 29%.
Proposal preparation, submission, and processing information is available in the RDI Proposal Preparation Guide (PPG). The PPG includes requirements for the project narrative and supplemental documents; it is strongly encouraged that interested applicants read the PPG in full as proposals that do not match the PPG will be returned without review.
Solicitation specific information below supersedes information presented in the PPG.
Solicitation Specific Requirements:
1. Eligibility: In addition to the general eligibility requirements in the PPG, applicants must:
a. Track 1. Include an international partner, with documented letter of collaboration (see 2. below)
b. Track 2. Be clearly be performing research, creative, or scholarly activities in the arts, humanities, and social sciences.
c. Track 3. Be within the first eight (8) years of their initial academic appointment at any institution. Post-doctoral appointments are not considered initial appointments. Faculty that have obtained tenure, and still meet the academic appointment date, interested in taking their research in a new direction are encouraged to apply.
2. Supplemental Documents: Track 1. In-kind or matching funds (1:1 match) from an international partner institution must be included; a letter of support from the collaborator must be included.
Updated: July 16, 2018