University of Arizona employees working on an export controlled project with a Technology Control Plan (TCP) must complete the initial export control training module prior to working on a project and/or accessing export controlled information. Agreements will not be processed by Contracting Services until training is confirmed as current and the TCP is in place.
Refresher training is required every two years as long as an individual is on the TCP. Failure to complete required trainings can result in removal from the TCP and access to export-controlled data and/or project.
Principal Investigators conducting research secured with a TCP are responsible for ensuring that all project personnel complete the required export control training.
Please contact the University Export Control Program for additional information or questions regarding export control training requirements.
“Research: Export Control in a University Setting (UA-1324-2)” is available online through UAccess Learning. The module provides an overview of U.S. export control laws and regulations and how they can affect university activities. To enroll:
- 1. Click this link and, if prompted, enter your NetID and password to log in to UAccess Learning
- 2. Select the yellow Enroll button: NOTE: If this is your first time logging in to UAccess Learning, you might not see an Enroll button. In that case, please wait and try again in 24 hours. If, at that point, you still don't see anything in the catalog, please contact RDI-Training@email.arizona.edu.
- 3. You should now be enrolled in the training. Select Launch, then Launch again to access the first module. NOTE: UAccess Learning utilized pop-up windows to display content. If no content appears, you may need to disable any pop-up blockers in your browser.
Biennial Refresher Training
A refresher training is required every two years as long as the individual remains on a TCP. The export control refresher training requirements can be completed by:
- Attending an Export Control presentation/session on campus, or
- Completing an approved online Export Control training module.
Approved Online Training
Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Program Export Compliance modules: "Export Compliance for Researchers: Part II."
UA personnel can log into CITI Program at https://www.citiprogram.org through the Single-Sign-On (SSO) link by following the steps below:
- 1. Choose the "University of Arizona" from the list of organizations
- 2. The UA WebAuth will appear if you are not already on the UA Network; enter your UA NetID and Password
- 3. New Users will be prompted to create a profile; existing users will be taken to the main page.
- 4. Select "Export Compliance (EC)" from the course selection on the main page.
- 5. Under "Required Modules" select the "Export Compliance for Researchers: Part II" module. You will be able to choose between a narrated or text version.
- 6. When the module has been successfully completed, UECP will be automatically notified by the CITI Program system with 24 hours of completion.
These resources do not provide fulfill training requirements for a Technology Control Plan (TCP).
- Essentials of Export Controls (Online), Bureau of Industry & Security (BIS): A general understanding of regulations and how to use them.
- Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) Online Training Room: Learn from experienced U.S. Government officials about export control policies, regulations, and procedures in a variety of electronic formats.
Security Clearance Briefings
Contact Chris Shinohara, Facility Security Officer, for additional information.