Research, Discovery & Innovation offers an extensive program of workshops designed to help research administrators and business offices successfully work with faculty researchers to navigate the full research cycle, from finding and securing funding, negotiating contracts, and managing the award, to ensuring compliance with relevant laws and policies.
RDI facilicates a monthly Research Administration Forum for research administrators.
Sign up to the UA Research Admin (RAMTALK) email listserv. RAMTALK is a listserv that notifies subscribers of training, events including the monthly RA forum, funding announcements, policies, and procedures.
If you are interesting in having one of these workshops presented for your department or college, please contact Research Training Services at 621-0598 or RDI-Training@email.arizona.edu. We can also deliver specialized training by request.
The objective of this forum is to bring campus and central research administrators together to create a community of peers that will meet, collaborate, and share best practices to support our faculty and the UA research enterprise. The forums often include primer training sessions for new research administrators. The forums are generally held the morning of the second or third Wednesday of the month. Register for the forums in UAccess Learning (class code 1523).
Instructions on subscribing to UA listservs can be found here.
Past forums and materials:
- October 9, 2018 - Inaugural Meeting. Group exercises to develop content ideas for future forums. Collaborative Q&A.
- November 7, 2018 - NSF Sexual Harrassment policy discussion and review results from October forum and agree on logistics going forward. Collaborative Q&A.
- December 5, 2018 - Pre-session: Cost Share Intro and Basics. Main Forum: Cost Sharing by departments discussion. Collaborative Q&A.
- January 9, 2019 - Pre-session: Effort Reporting Intro and Basics. Main Forum: Effort Reporting by departments discussion. Collaborative Q&A.
- February 20, 2019 - Pre-session: Subawarding Intro and Basics. Main Forum: Research Data Services Overview. Subaward administration by departments discussion. Collaborative Q&A.
- March 20, 2019 - Main Forum: NIH RPPR overview and dashboard tool, Grant Transfers, Q&A. Post Session: Intro to a sponsored projects and SPCS department overview
- April 17, 2019 - Hot topics in proposal budgeting and postaward expenditures.
- May 22, 2019 - Supplemental Compensation on Grants. F&A rate agreements, F&A waivers, and F&A distributions.
University of Arizona online workshops:
- I Got My Award...Now What?! PostAward Management for the Principal Investigator: A panel discussion with a PI and research administrators
- UAccess Research Training Videos
Vanderbilt University offers free online workshops for research administrators:
Following are recordings of previous NCURA workshops available to the campus community as a self-paced learning tool. When you click the stream link, please choose the sign in drop down option for UA NetID.
- National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA) YouTube Channel
- NCURA 5/23/2017: New Research Terms and Conditions
- NCURA 3/8/2017: Building a Budget
- NCURA 2017: FISMA Handbook
- NCURA 2017: NSF Fundamentals
- NCURA 2017: Single IRB
- NCURA 2017: Data Transfer and Use Agreements
- NCURA 10/25/2017: Managing Sponsored Research Risk in an International Environment
- NCURA 2018: Public Access: Practical Ways To Assist Faculty To Comply With Public Access Policies
- NCURA 2018: Rigor And Reproducibility For The Research Administrator
- NCURA 2018: Managing Subawards
- NCURA 2018: Financial Research Compliance
- NCURA 2019: What a Departmental Administrator Needs to Know About Federal Contracts
- NCURA 2019: EU General Data Protection Regulation
- NCURA 2019: OIG Audits in a Federally Funded Research Environment
Office of Management and Budget (OMB) offers a free online grants management training module:
Instructor-Led Workshops & Training
Following workshops are available to the campus community. You can register for workshop through the UAccess Learning system.
Jump to section:
Please visit Research Development Services
Sponsored Projects & Contracting Services is in the process of rebuilding its training curriculum. Please contact email@example.com for personalized training for your unit. SPCS also delivers training in the monthly Research Administration Forum.
Training & Workshops
Conflict of Interest
Human Subjects Protection Program
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
Health Information Privacy and Security
Radiation, Chemical and Biological Safety
Responsible Conduct of Research