Research, Innovation & Impact (RII) offers an extensive program of workshops designed to help research administrators and business offices successfully work with faculty researchers to navigate the full research cycle, from finding and securing funding, negotiating contracts, and managing the award, to ensuring compliance with relevant laws and policies.
Sponsored Projects & Contracting Services, a unit of RII, facilicates a monthly Research Administration Forum for research administrators.
Sign up to the UA Research Admin (RAMTALK) email listserv. RAMTALK is a listserv that notifies subscribers of training, events including the monthly RA forum, funding announcements, policies, and procedures.
If you are interesting in having one of these workshops presented for your department or college, please contact the Research Training & Education Team at Research-Training@email.arizona.edu. We can also deliver specialized training by request.
The objective of this forum is to bring campus and central research administrators together to create a community of peers that will meet, collaborate, and share best practices to support our faculty and the UA research enterprise. The forums often include primer training sessions for new research administrators. The forums are generally held the morning of the second or third Wednesday of the month. Register for the forums in UAccess Learning (class code 1523).
Instructions on subscribing to UA listservs can be found here.
Shared Resources of the UA Research Administration Forum are available with your NetID login using Box.
To upload resources, send email to UA_Rese.firstname.lastname@example.org with the file to be uploaded attached.
Past forums and materials:
- October 21, 2020 - Contracting, SBIR/STTRs & COIs, Insider’s Guide to ORCID and SciENcv
- May 27, 2020 - Managing furlough plan effort on sponsored awards, Telework and Research Administrator Best Practices
- February 19, 2020 - Managing Property Purchased on Sponsored Awards, NIH RPPR Discussion and Tools
- January 15, 2020 - Export Control for Research Administrators
- December 18, 2019 - UAccess Research and UAccess Financials Tips and Tricks
- November 20, 2019 - NIH Primer, NSF Postdoc Survey, NIH Updates from November NIH Regional Conference, Postaward Expenditures Workshop
- October 23, 2019 - Open Researcher and Contributor (ORCID) and Science Experts Network Curriculum Vitae (SciENcv), Federal Demonstration Partnership (FDP), One year review of RA forum and survey for future.
- September 18, 2019 - Research Gateway changes, General proposal checklist subgroup, NSF proposal checklist subgroup, NSF PAPPG, Stipends vs Payroll compliance, Federal purchases >10k, Proposal best practices discussion
- August 21, 2019 - Federal Sponsors, Disclosure of Faculty Interests/Effort, & Foreign Influence, F&A Negotiation Status, Analytics Award Setup Status Report, Project FOCUS
- July 16, 2019 - SPCS Contracting Process (Non-UAHS contracting)
- May 22, 2019 - Supplemental Compensation on Grants. F&A rate agreements, F&A waivers, and F&A distributions.
- April 17, 2019 - Hot topics in proposal budgeting and postaward expenditures.
- March 20, 2019 - Main Forum: NIH RPPR overview and dashboard tool, Grant Transfers, Q&A. Post Session: Intro to a sponsored projects and SPCS department overview
- February 20, 2019 - Pre-session: Subawarding Intro and Basics. Main Forum: Research Data Services Overview. Subaward administration by departments discussion. Collaborative Q&A.
- January 9, 2019 - Pre-session: Effort Reporting Intro and Basics. Main Forum: Effort Reporting by departments discussion. Collaborative Q&A.
- December 5, 2018 - Pre-session: Cost Share Intro and Basics. Main Forum: Cost Sharing by departments discussion. Collaborative Q&A.
- November 7, 2018 - NSF Sexual Harrassment policy discussion and review results from October forum and agree on logistics going forward. Collaborative Q&A.
- October 9, 2018 - Inaugural Meeting. Group exercises to develop content ideas for future forums. Collaborative Q&A
University of Arizona online workshops:
- I Got My Award...Now What?! PostAward Management for the Principal Investigator: A panel discussion with a PI and research administrators
- UAccess Research Training Videos
UA has a license for the CITI Program course Essentials of Research Administration Training
- Log in to CITI with your UArizona NetID and password, select "View Courses" for University of Arizona, then scroll to the bottom of the next page and select "Add a course." Enroll in the Essentials of Research Administration Course.
Office of Management and Budget (OMB) offers a free online grants management training module
Vanderbilt University offers free online workshops for research administrators
NCURA Online Training
Following are recordings of previous NCURA workshops available to the campus community as a self-paced learning tool. When you click the stream link, please choose the sign in drop down option for UA NetID.
- National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA) YouTube Channel
- NCURA 5/23/2017: New Research Terms and Conditions
- NCURA 3/8/2017: Building a Budget
- NCURA 2017: FISMA Handbook
- NCURA 2017: NSF Fundamentals
- NCURA 2017: Single IRB
- NCURA 2017: Data Transfer and Use Agreements
- NCURA 10/25/2017: Managing Sponsored Research Risk in an International Environment
- NCURA 2018: International Research Publications Handout
- NCURA 2018: Public Access: Practical Ways To Assist Faculty To Comply With Public Access Policies
- NCURA 2018: Rigor And Reproducibility For The Research Administrator
- NCURA 2018: Managing Subawards
- NCURA 2018: Financial Research Compliance
- NCURA 2019: What a Departmental Administrator Needs to Know About Federal Contracts
- NCURA 2019: EU General Data Protection Regulation
- NCURA 2019: OIG Audits in a Federally Funded Research Environment
- NCURA 2019: Designing a Research Admin Training Program | Slides for Download
- NCURA 2019: Security and Foreign Threats to US Research
- NCURA 2019: Cost Transfers
- NCURA 2020: Introduction to Impact Reporting Part 1
- NCURA 2020: Introduction to Impact Reporting Part 2
Instructor-Led Workshops & Training
Following workshops are available to the campus community.
Jump to section:
Please visit Research Development Services
Training & Workshops
Conflict of Interest
Human Subjects Protection Program
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
Health Information Privacy and Security
Radiation, Chemical and Biological Safety
Responsible Conduct of Research