The Sponsored Projects Services (SPS), a unit of Research, Discovery & Innovation (RDI), assists the University of Arizona research community in its efforts to secure external funding by providing high quality administrative and financial services to ensure proper stewardship of those funds.
Our mission is to support and enhance the University’s reputation while working to achieve strategic goals with broad services in the following areas: Proposal Development and Submission, PostAward Management, and Administrative Guidance.
Sponsored Projects Services (SPS) is responsible for assisting faculty and staff with proposals, guidance on the management of grants and contracts, and training on research administration topics. SPS is an experienced resource for faculty and staff who conduct research and who work to advance the University’s strategic goals through externally funded projects and programs.
SPS responsibilities include the following functions, activities, and services:
Proposal and Submission
- Provide assistance in interpreting application guidelines and sponsor requirements
- Review proposals, ensuring budgets are appropriate, and application forms are complete and correct
- Manage electronic application submission processes
- Ensure proposals meet UA approval requirements
- Provide institutional approval for all proposal submissions
- Track proposal submissions, awards, rejections and resubmissions
- Setup and manage sponsored accounts
- Provide PostAward management services: Account invoicing, financial compliance, financial reporting, and closeout
- Offer expert guidance and advice on expenditure allowability
- Provide assistance in effort reporting, and documenting cost sharing/matching funds
- Assist with the management of sponsored accounts purchased equipment and complete required equipment reporting
- Coordinate and assist with external audits and internal reviews
- Provide assistance in interpreting sponsor and institutional policies and regulations
- Provide faculty and staff development workshops on research administration
- Serve faculty and staff as a resource for information about seeking, obtaining and managing sponsored projects and related internal processes
- Coordinate with the Business Office, Contract & Research Support Program, Research, Discovery & Innovation, the UA Foundation, and other entities as needed
Relationships to Other Offices
Sponsored Projects Services works closely with Contract & Research Support Program (CRSP), which provides contract negotiation and tracking, and is the University’s authorized signer for contracts.
Sponsored Projects Services also works with the UA Foundation on charitable grants that require greater financial management than gifts. The UA Foundation works to advance the University of Arizona by building relationships, securing philanthropic support and stewarding assets
In addition, Sponsored Projects Services works with Financial Services Office to streamline accounting internal control procedures and provide better services in grant account management.