Honors, Awards and Prizes (Honorifics) Program
Honors, awards, and prizes ("honorifics") serve as recognition for faculty pursuing novel research, scholarship, and creative activity. While our primary focus is on honorifics considered highly prestigious and prestigious at the national level, as defined by the National Research Council (NRC), we are pleased to help support any honorific that you are interested in pursuing (as time and resources permit).
Examples of the highly prestigious and prestigious awards include:
- Getty Scholars in Residence
- Guggenheim Fellows
- HHMI Investigators
- Lasker Medical Research Awards
- MacArthur Foundation Fellows
- Grawemeyer Award for Ideas Improving World Order
- Newcomb Cleveland Prize
- Fulbright Scholar Program
RDS assists faculty, continuing-eligible academic professionals, and/or continuing status academic professionals across all disciplines and levels in their pursuit of honors and awards.
Nomination and Selection Process
For honorifics with an institutional limit the decision process will mirror the UA Limited Submission process.
Honors and awards will be advertised in the following ways:
- Listing in The Current
- Direct email to individual faculty with profiles fitting the honorific
- College and department personnel, including Associate Deans for Research and others as appropriate
We attempt to advertise four to six months before the expected honorifics deadline, as listed in the calendar below.
Additionally, you can notify the team member at RDS responsible for Honors, Awards and Prizes if you are interested in being nominated for a highly prestigious or prestigious honorific.
RDS provides nomination development support including drafting the narrative components of nominations, technical and nontechnical editing, formatting assistance, writing the nonscientific sections, gathering letters of support, and supporting the electronic submission process in coordination with the nominee’s home department and Sponsored Projects & Contracting Services.
Submission of Award Package
- If the Award nomination includes a budget for use of the funds, that budget should be developed with your unit’s business office and routed through UAccess Research to be approved by Sponsored Projects & Contracting Services (SP&CS). SP&CS may also, ultimately, be the ones to submit the award package; this is dependent upon the submission mechanism, responsibilities of the university if awarded, and any regulatory restrictions.
- If the honorific is a Fellowship or other mechanism that requires time away from teaching and other duties at UA, RDS will require Department Head and College Dean approval before nomination. See the UA's Prestigious Awards Leave policy.