COI Review Process for Individuals Working on Human Subjects Research
- Please log into the COI Disclosure System (link provided below). Once logged in, (1) mark the linked IRB Protocol as a duplicate project, (2) re-certify that the information in your COI disclosure is accurate, and (2) submit your disclosure.
- Please send an email to the IRB staff at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that you previously disclosed the protocol to the COI Program. If the title of the project on your COI disclosure is not the same as the title of the project on your IRB protocol, please provide the IRB staff with the title used on your COI disclosure.
- Please log into the COI Disclosure System (link provided below). Once logged in, (1) review the newly added protocol information, (2) complete the project questionnaire for the newly added protocol, (3) re-certify that the information in your COI disclosure is accurate, and (4) submit your disclosure.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why was my ‘Application for human research’ returned “for COI?”
Before submitting your project to the Human Subjects Protection Program (HSPP) for review, the COI disclosure and review process must be complete with respect to each Investigator on the project. If your submission was returned by the HSPP because the Conflict of Interest (COI) requirements were not complete, one or more of the following may have happened:
- The PI or other investigator on the project has not completed their annual disclosure of outside interest(s) through the COI Disclosure System.
- The PI or other investigator has disclosed an outside interest(s), but the protocol needs to be added to their disclosure to allow for COI review.
- The COI Program is still conducting its review of the PI or another investigator’s disclosed outside interest(s) against the proposed research.
This flowchart may help you identify which of these steps needs to be completed.
What if every Investigator has disclosed this protocol and the COI review process is complete?
Once the COI requirements for this project are complete, the COI Disclosure System will send an email to the HSPP informing them that the COI review is complete. If your protocol was returned to you, please then resubmit the application, in full, to VPR-IRB@email.arizona.edu. Please note, depending on time of resubmission, new signatures may need to be obtained.
What if I have more questions?
If you have questions about how to complete any of the COI requirements, please contact COI Program at COI@email.arizona.edu.