The University of Arizona

MOUs with External IACUCs

Hotline Graphic

IACUC Contacts & Links

Spring 2020: Please note, the IACUC Office is currently short-staffed and receiving an unusually high number of incoming requests. We ask you allow additional time for protocol and amendment submissions and appreciate your patience as we experience delays in our response and review times.

eSirius log-in
eSirius Training Videos 
(NetID login)

Instructions to sign up for the "IACUC-Users" listserv

Report an Adverse/Unanticipated Event
Report an Animal Welfare Concern
Report Non-Adherence to Protocol

IACUC Officer:

IACUC Specialists:

Mailing Address
PO Box 210409
Tucson, AZ 85719

IACUC Customer Service Survey


What is a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between IACUCs?

A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is required for animal activities that are conducted at another institution using University of Arizona funds. In this case, the University of Arizona IACUC has an obligation to ensure that animal activities are being conducted with appropriate standards.

Examples of research activities that do not need MOUs:

  • Purchase of animals from a company that provides essentially the same service to any customer, e.g., purchase of thymectomized mice from a vendor for use on an approved protocol.
  • When a University of Arizona investigator performs animal research at UA and shares data with a collaborator at another institution.
  • When a University of Arizona researcher is a participant on an external institution's protocol (where animals are not purchased with University funds).

What to do before you start

If you think your animal activity may need an MOU, contact the IACUC Office at (520) 626-1247 for guidance and a current copy of the form.

Note that this process requires multiple signatures from both the University of Arizona and the external institution, which can take time to collect. Therefore, please contact the IACUC Office as soon as you think you may need an MOU.