The various compliance and safety units in Research, Discovery & Innovation (RDI) support research excellence at The University of Arizona (UA) through the adoption and implementation of policies and procedures that promote the safe, legal and ethical conduct of research. We emphasize collaborative engagement to achieve best practices and shared acceptance of core values.
Our compliance programs help the university to fulfill research compliance obligations related to: Conflict of Interest; Export Control; the Protection of Human Research Subjects; the Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals; Health Information Privacy Protection; and Radiation, Biological and Chemical safety. Our goal is to provide:
- Expertise: Ensuring reliable, trustworthy assessments and efficient implementation of complex, ever-changing regulatory requirements in a manner that facilitates high-quality research without imposing unnecessary administrative burdens.
- Collaboration: Working together with key institutional stakeholders, and drawing on the collective strengths of our research compliance offices, to produce administrative efficiency and nurture positive, long-term relationships with college leadership, faculty members, students and administrators, aligned in support of research excellence.
- Education and Outreach: Developing innovative training and outreach programs that provide reliable, understandable and useful information on federal and state regulations that impact the University’s research mission and strategic goals.
- Leadership and Service: Providing pro-active, personalized assistance to support our faculty, students, research and administrative personnel, and compliance committees; and active involvement with external academic and industry organizations to identify and implement best practices that advance the tradition of research excellence at the University of Arizona.
Research Compliance Services helps the university fulfill regulatory requirements related to research through the following programs:
- Conflict of Interest Program (COIP)
- Export Control Program (ECP)
- Human Subjects Protection Program (HSPP)
- HIPAA Privacy Program (HPP)
- Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC) Program
- Research Laboratory & Safety Services
Relationship to Other Offices
Research Compliance Services (RCS) works closely with many offices and programs, including Contract & Research Support Program (CRSP), which provides contract negotiation and tracking, and is the University’s authorized signer for contracts.