Updated guidance will be posted prior to September 1, 2017
Shared Equipment Enhancement grants are available to augment scientific capacity through the acquisition of equipment for use by multiple investigators. Proposed equipment total cost not to exceed $150,000. Equipment must be located in a core facility or in a shared, accessible space, and must have multiple committed users from at least two departments and preferably, from at least two different colleges. Equipment must not simply replace existing stock; it must add new capacity to enable competitiveness for an identified funding opportunity. ORD funds may only be used for equipment cost. ORD funds may not be used for salaries or operations, however these costs can be provided as unit contributions.
Timing: Applications are due October 23, 2017.
Eligibility: Three or more investigators (faculty tenure-track, continuing-track, and/or research-track and appointed personnel) must form a proposing team, with one corresponding investigator.
Application: Applications are accepted via UA's Competition Space online application program. The opportunity is open for submission, detailed instructions and a fillable budget form are included on UA's Competition Space.
Questions on how to use UA Competition Space? Download instructions here.
The proposal should consist of the following elements:
- General applicant information (via Competition Space)
- Indication of topical theme (more than one area may be selected):
- Improving Health/Biomedicine
- Space Systems & Optics
- Water, Energy & Arid Environment
- National Defense & Security Systems
- Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences
- Public Policy, Law, Architecture, International
- Indication of TRIF Initative (if applicable):
- Improving Health
- Water, Environment, & Energy Solutions
- Space Exploration & Optical Solutions
- Defense & Security Systems
- Proposal with up to 3 page narrative, include a description of how broad access will be enabled, how the proposed equipment adds needed capacity and its relationship to other existing cores/shared equipment resources, state how the equipment operated and maintained, and the identified external funding target(s).
- Budget justification
- List of users with affiliation
- Business plan for long term sustainability of the equipment
- Brief Biographical Sketch (4 page max) of corresponding investigator
- Letter of commitment from relevant Dean(s)
- Equipment Quote(s)
Review/Selection Criteria: Proposals will be reviewed by an expert panel. Although every attempt will be made to include faculty with general area of expertise appropriate to the proposals being reviewed, applicants should be aware that reviewers will vary in specific subject matter expertise. Applicants thus are advised to craft the proposal to be understandable to a broad, interdisciplinary audience.
Proposals will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Alignment with university strategic priorities in Never Settle and from the ORD Strategic Planning Sessions
- Interdisciplinary activity, involvement of multiple UA units
- Identification of a specific and appropriate external funding target (agency/sponsor and specific program) for which the equipment will enhance competitiveness
- Track record of the corresponding investigator and investigator team
- Track record of the unit responsible for managing the equipment
Upon reviewer recommendations, final funding determination will be made within ORD. Notification of award will be sent to the Co-PI team, department heads, and deans.
Reporting Requirements: A report is required within one month of the end date of the activity and must be submitted to ORD via Competition Space. The report will include a description of equipment purchased, results obtained, and status of proposal development and agency submission, if applicable. Additional information regarding requirements will be outlined in the award letter.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are letters required from the dean of each college involved?
A: Yes, letters are required from each committed user and member of the team's respective college dean.
Q: Is there a commitment of funds or resources required from the college for this award?
A: While there is not a formal match required, note that the funds may only be used for the proposed equipment purchase. Thus, all personnel required and/or operational funding to deem the equipment complete and functional should be provided by the college, department, or unit. Letters of commitment should specify the type and amount of committed resources.