Operationalizing Interdisciplinary Research Program Success: Support for Large Complex Proposal Development
Overview & Application Guidance
Funds are available from Research, Discovery & Innovation (RDI) to support the preparation of large complex proposals. "Large" is generally defined as > $10 million total award. "Complex" is generally defined as requiring the participation of many units, industry, government agencies, international institutions, leasing of off-campus facilities, ITAR/export controlled activities, and/or other aspects requiring special attention. Funds (up to $25,000 depending on award size and proposal complexity) are intended to supplement investments by participating units in the proposal preparation process.
Timing: Proposals are accepted on an ongoing basis. Review may take approximately one month. An end date will be determined based on the proposal timing and activities to be performed; funds not spent during this time period shall be returned to ORD.
Eligibility: Faculty (tenure-track, continuing-track, or research-track) are eligible to apply for this grant. The Principal Investigator (PI) of a large/complex proposal in development is eligible to request funds. Requests must come through the department head and dean, and must show evidence of cost sharing by the unit(s) involved.
ORD funds may be used for the following:
- Technical staff and proposal managers
- Travel to/from collaborating institutions
- External scientific/technical review
- Graphic design, final proposal reproduction/binding
- Site and reverse site visits
ORD funds may not be used for faculty or student salaries, however these salaries and course buy-out can be provided as unit cost-sharing.
The PI must commit to working with Research Development Services to develop and follow a proposal preparation plan, obtain internal and/or external review, and to coordinate other services requested to be funded by ORD.
Application: Applications are due April 24, 2017.
Briefly, the following will be required:
- General applicant information (via Competition Space)
- Proposal narrative
- Budget justification
- Brief Biographical Sketch (4 page max) for applicant
- Letter of Commitment from Dean(s)
Review/Selection Criteria: Proposals will be reviewed and decisions made within ORD based on the following criteria:
- Alignment of proposal area to UA strategic research priorities
- Interdisciplinary activity, involvement of multiple UA units
- Strategic external partnerships (if applicable)
- Sufficient time allotted for successful large proposal preparation
- Track record of the PI and key personnel
- Track record of the lead unit in successful large proposal development
- Track record of the lead unit in successful management of larger awards
- Size of the award
Reporting Requirements: A brief report is required by the end date of the activity and should be submitted to ORD via Competition Space. The report will include a summary of spending and activities performed, and proposal status.